usually ¥1500 - ¥2000 + food/drink order
- 2 Chome-2-7 Asagayakita, Suginami, Tokyo (Kiraku Building 3F)
- Distance from Station:
- 2 minute walk from JR Asagaya Station, North exit
- 03-336-7961 (Japanese only)
- Tuesday - Friday & Sunday 7:00pm - 12:30am, Saturday 7:00pm - 5:00am, Closed on Mondays and the 1st & 3rd Tuesday of every month
- http://www.ateliermw.com/manhattan/ (external link)
- The owner speaks some English.
Get Cozy in this Old-School Live Jazz Bar
For the jazz-loving traveler, Asagaya is one of the “it” destinations to visit in Tokyo. Although the selection of bars is endless, The Manhattan stands a short walk northwest of JR Asagaya Station, only 7 minutes from Shinjuku on the Chuo Line. Here on Star Road in Asagaya it is almost hiding from the crowds– you’ll have to look carefully for the sign leading you up to the 3rd floor– but it is cozy and very welcoming. Run by Mochizuki-san, one of the nicest bar owners in town, Manhattan Bar offers daily live events, special jam sessions with local musicians, and the signature Latin Night, where the owner himself shows off his love for the jazzy sounds of Cuba and Latin America (see website for schedule). The record collection, top-notch audio system, and the (rare in Japan) smoke-free environment round out the reasons why this “jazzy and sentimental” live bar should not be missed.
[updated October 2018]