- 3 Chome-59-4 Koenji-Minami, Suginami, Tokyo
- Distance from Station:
- 3 minutes from JR Koenji Station, South Exit
- 03-3317-7789 (Japanese only)
- 1:00pm - 9:00pm (Closes at 8:00pm on Sundays), Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays, and occasionally for restocking etc.
- http://hachimakura.com/ (external link)
- Staff speak Japanese only.
Unique Taste and Rare Finds
[updated November 2022]
Hachimakura is a unique souvenir shop in south Koenji. Most of the items are paper craft, but other things like Japanese traditional folk toys including kokeshi—painted wooden dolls with a round head and cylindrical body– are also displayed. Dead stock like labels for shoyu (soy sauce) bottles printed in the Showa Era (300 yen for 15 labels) or old signature stamps made of valuable materials (525 yen) are rare one-of-a-kind items that are also available, so you should visit Hachimakura if you want to look for something you can’t find anywhere else. There is also a unique “Summer Paper Festival” event held once a year. They have a unique selection of retro paper goods from both overseas and Japan such as old postcards, stamps, other stationery goods and more.
Hachimakura is closed on Mondays and Tuesday, but please also check their calendar (external link) for additional closing information (written in red on the calendar). They also have an online shop (external link) which you can peruse, but it is in Japanese only.
Translation: Y. Ikeno
Photography: TFF Staff
YOU ALSO MIGHT LIKE:
IN THE AREA: