5 Pack Gift Box ¥2,830
- 3 Chome-21-4 Minami-Ogikubo, Suginami, Tokyo
- Distance from Station:
- 10 minute walk from JR Nishi-Ogikubo Station, 14 minute walk from JR/Tokyo Metro Ogikubo Station (South Exits)
- 03-3333-3435 (Japanese only)
- 9:00am - 6:00pm, Closed on Sundays & holidays (long holidays during New Years and O-bon Week in August)
- http://www.cam.hi-ho.ne.jp/kobariseimaiten/ (external link)
- Staff speak Japanese only.
KOBARISEI RICE SHOP
Souvenir-Size Rice in Well Designed Packaging
[updated March 2020]
Quality rice is available from various parts of Japan at Kobarisei Maiten in Ogikubo. The shop deals mainly in organic rice or high quality rice. They sell original sets of a few varieties of rice in small packages, which are great for souvenirs. We recommend the “2 Go Gift Rice,” a gift box that contains 5 packages, each of which is packed with a different brand of special rice. It weighs 1.5 kilograms and won the Good Design Award in 2016. Also their “Komenuka Onnetsu and Cold Pad,” a small pad that contains rice bran and salt is quite popular, selling for 2,600 yen. When heated up in a microwave oven, it can be used as a heat pad in the winter, and when frozen in the freezer it works great to keep cool in the summer.
They also have 5 kinds of rice cookies. They are in small packages and prices range from 410 yen to 500 yen. A popular one with local people is the Rice Bran Cookies (500 yen). It is gluten-free and made with pesticide-free brown rice flour and is not too sweet.
*Please check with your airline to make sure rice is allowed to take on your flight home and into your country before purchasing as a souvenir. You may have to declare it, so please be aware.