average ¥2,000 - ¥4,500
- 5 Chome-23-6, Ogikubo, Suginami, Tokyo
- Distance from Station:
- 2 minutes from JR/Tokyo Metro Ogikubo Station, South Exit
- 050-5595-8539 (Japanese only)
- Tuesday to Friday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sundays & holidays 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Closed Mondays
- http://ogikubobeer.blogspot.com/ (external link)
- Staff speak Japanese only but English menu is available.
OGIKUBO BEER KOBO
Original-Brewed Beer and Exquisite Sides
Ogikubo Beer Kobo is a brewery-pub. Although it’s a small pub, they have their own brewery there so you can always drink fresh beer brewed right in the pub. At least six different kinds of beer are available. One of their most original recommended beers is Uguisu (Japanese bush warbler) Beer (large size 750 yen). Like most things in Japan with the “uguisu” label, the color of the beer is an almost matcha-like light green—the color of the bush warbler– and in this unique beer you can taste both beer and green tea. This beer, however, just like the appearance of the Japanese bush warbler, is available only in the spring. If you are lucky to visit in spring you must try this beer for a rare experience.
The meals cooked by a French cuisine chef are also quite worth your visit. Aburi Bacon, a slightly grilled bacon (full size 1,180 yen) is another one of their original items and goes very well with beer. If you’re hungry or just looking to spend a leisurely time, a few course meals are also available, like the Two Hour Course (4,500 yen). This course includes Aburi Bacon, Spicy Chicken, vegetable sticks with special anchovy sauce, pasta and as much home-brewed beer as you want within the 2 hours!
[updated November 2018]