- 1 Chome-12-5 Asagayaminami, Suginami, Tokyo
- Distance from Station:
- 9 minute walk from JR Asagaya Station, 4 minutes from Tokyo Metro Minami-Asagaya Station
- 03-3311-5916 (Japanese only)
- 10:00am - 7:00pm, closed Tuesdays
- http://www.asagaya.or.jp/map/8han/eitarou.html (external link)
- Japanese only (please follow visuals or bring someone who can translate)
JAPANESE SWEETS WORKSHOP
[updated May 2020]
“Wagashi” Japanese Sweets Workshop
■Content: Using anko bean jam and other traditional ingredients, learn some techniques of traditional Japanese wagashi sweets making
■Materials: Provided by Eitarou and included in the cost.
■Location: Eitarou (see address above or map below)
■Workshop Time: approximately 1-2 hours
■Number of Participants: minimum of 2 participants
■Cost: 1,650 yen per person (tax included)
■Instructor: Sakamoto-sensei, over 55 years experience
■Sign up/schedule/inquiry: Please call 03-3311-5916 (Japanese only) or go to the store directly.
Make Traditional Japanese Sweets with a Wagashi Master!
For a truly unique experience, be sure to book a wagashi sweet-making workshop at Eitarou in Asagaya. The delicate craft of wagashi-making began in the Edo period, but is now a rare specialty skill. The knowledgeable owner has been fine-tuning his craft for 55 years and can teach you many different styles and techniques. Create seasonal-inspired wagashi using colorful anko (sweet bean paste).
The owner doesn’t speak much English, so if you’re interested be sure to bring along a Japanese-speaking friend, or be prepared to follow what he does without language guidance. To book a workshop have a Japanese speaker call or go to the store directly.