- 2 Chome-10-9 Momoi, Suginami, Tokyo
- Distance from Station:
- 17 minutes on foot from JR /Tokyo Metro Ogikubo Station, 21 minutes from JR Nishi-Ogikubo Station
- 080-2126-3224 (Japanese only)
- 7:00pm - 9:00pm on Tuesdays & Saturdays
- https://ishimatu-tate.jimdofree.com/ (external link)
- The Workshop is taught in Japanese. Please come with someone who can translate or be prepared to follow along without language communication.
TATE SAMURAI ACTOR WORKSHOP
[updated February 2021]
“Tate” Samurai Actors’ Martial Arts Workshop
■Content: Participate in a lesson of Tate, the Japanese sword martial art used in samurai films. In the lesson you will learn: how to handle the bokuto (wooden sword, commonly mistakenly called “bokken” in English), kata forms, and participate in short battle scenes. The battle scenes will be filmed with a camera or smart phone, and you can even use your own device to record your scene. (Recorded scenes will be uploaded to YouTube so you can watch them later also)
■Materials: Wooden sword (bokuto) and sash (obi) will be provided for your training. Please bring workout clothes that are easy to move around in. Please note the lesson will be barefoot. Watches, jewelry, and accessories should be removed during training.
■Location: Momoi Jidokan, 2 Chome-10-9 Momoi, Suginami, Tokyo (in between Ogikubo and Nishi-Ogikubo). *Subject to change, please confirm the location when you sign up.
■Schedule: Every Tuesday and Saturday from 7:00pm *Subject to change, please confirm the schedule when you sign up.
■Workshop Time: approximately 2 hours
■Number of Participants: no minimum (participants will join the usual Tate class)
■Cost: 2,000 yen per person (tax included) for one training session
■Instructor: Daigo Ishimatsu-sensei, 38+ years experience in Tate. As a samurai actor he has been in many major theatrical productions, on TV dramas, and has experience training others for such roles.
■Sign up/schedule/inquiry: Please contact by sending an email to: email@example.com